Sunday, October 14 2012
Shane 'Shakey' Byrne edged closer to a third MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship title by beating rival Josh Brookes in the second race of the weekend at Brands Hatch as the Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki rider kept his cool in an incident-packed race.
Byrne again had a flying start from the front row to lead the pack on the opening lap as Alex Lowes moved up to second ahead of Michael Laverty and Brookes. On the third lap the Nissan GT-R Safety Car was deployed as Tristan Palmer crashed heavily at Paddock Hill Bend; he was able to walk away from the crash. Byrne held the advantage when the race continued but Barry Burrell was hard charging and was moving up the order, first on Brookes and then on Laverty. The Buildbase BMW rider then moved ahead of Lowes to claim second place by the ninth lap.
Laverty was trying to pass Lowes and almost tapped the back of the WFR Honda at Graham Hill Bend, forcing him wide and allowing Brookes to take the advantage to move third. The Australian was then trying to get ahead of Lowes, which he managed with a decisive move at Druids. However a lap later the WFR Honda rider was forced to retire from the race with a technical problem.
Brookes was finally able to make a move on Burrell at Druids following a second Nissan GT-R safety car deployment as James Westmoreland crashed at Clearways. The second WFR Honda rider was able to walk away from the crash. Laverty was then also able to make a move at Hawthorns to take third. Byrne held the advantage from Brookes and Laverty until the chequered flag from Burrell and Tommy Bridewell on the Supersonic BMW.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Brands Hatch, race two result:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) +1.144s
- Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) +1.918s
- Barry Burrell (Buildbase BMW) +2.029s
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) +2.165s
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) +4.839s
- Stuart Easton (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) +5.299s
- Jon Kirkham (Samsung Honda) +5.371s
- Noriyuki Haga (Swan Yamaha) +5.737s
- Peter Hickman (Buildbase BMW) +8.633s
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship standings after Brands Hatch race two:
- Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 658
- Josh Brookes (Tyco Suzuki) 635
- Tommy Hill (Swan Yamaha) 596
- Alex Lowes (WFR Honda) 584
- Michael Laverty (Samsung Honda) 581
- Tommy Bridewell (Supersonic BMW) 564
The 2012 MCE Insurance British Superbike champion will be crowned tomorrow at Brands Hatch this weekend (14 October). For more information click here
The second race starts at 16:20 today (Sunday).